Sunday, February 3, 2013
Naperville firefighters quickly extinguished a kitchen fire at a Naperville restaurant Sunday night.
Naperville Fire Department quickly extinguished a kitchen fire at a Naperville restaurant Sunday night. Get news in your inbox. Sign up for the Patch newsletter. Like Naperville Patch on Facebook. Crews received a 911 call from employees at Katy's Dumpling House, 790 Royal St. George Dr. unit 115, around 8:16 p.m. to report a kitchen fire, which was caused by a grease fire in a wok, according to the Naperville Fire Department. Ten vehicles and 25 fire personnel were dispatched to the scene. Restaurant employees attempted to put out the fire with an extinguisher before crews arrived, according to the fire department. Once firefighters arrived, employees were escorted out of the building and a few were seen being taken inside an ambulance, …
Monday, March 12, 2012
Downers Grove office building on Warren was destroyed early Monday.
UPDATE 2:25 p.m. According to optometrist Dr. Janet Walser, who has had her office in that building since 1986: The tenants received a call from the building's owner, Debbie Wendell, at about 6 a.m., informing them of the fire. She was told a resident of the Oak Tree Towers, located across the street north of the office building, saw smoke at about 1:30 a.m. and called the fire in. Tenants gathered on the north side of Warren Avenue to try to assess the damage from a distance this morning. Based on the scorch marks on the exterior of the building, it's believed the fire started on the second floor of the southwest corner of the building. Tenants have not been allowed back into the building, and won't be until it's determined to be safe. Dr…
Tuesday, July 12, 2011
The Chitkowski family home was destroyed in a fire on July 1 and the neighborhood kids want to help.
Across the street from a neighbor's lemonade stand sits a charred house. On July 1, a fire ravaged the Chitkowski family home, in unincorporated Glen Ellyn, and now the neighborhood kids want to help. The blaze broke out around 11:30 a.m. on the Friday before the Fourth of July, and injured one firefighter. The garage seemed to be the only part of the home that was untouched by flames. Last week, across the street, a group of middle school kids sat at a cardboard table with a cooler of lemonade, chanting at those who passed, trying to get them to donate money that will help the Chitkowski family. "We felt bad for them," said Tony Longo, a neighbor and sixth-grader at Glen Crest Middle School. The Chitkowski girls are well-known in the …
Friday, July 1, 2011
The fire broke out at a home in unincorporated Glen Ellyn around 11:30 a.m.
A home was destroyed this morning after a fire broke out around 11:30 a.m. in a wooded subdivision in unincorporated Glen Ellyn, northwest of the Morton Arboretum. According to Lisle-Woodridge Fire District Bureau Chief Jim French, no residents were home but a worker was power-washing the deck when the fire broke out. The worker was not injured. The residents' two dogs were saved during the efforts, according to fire officials. A firefighter was injured while battling the blaze. French could not divulge details on the firefighter's condition but said he had been transported to a local hospital. French said the structure was "pretty much gone" except the garage. He explained that the firewall between the home and the garage saved two cars …
Monday, June 27, 2011
A family of four was sleeping inside the home when the blaze started around 4:30 a.m.
From Glen Ellyn Patch: A fire that broke out around 4:30 a.m. ravaged a family's home in the 500 block of Dawes Avenue. Erin Micklo and her family were inside sleeping when the fire started. When the smoke detectors woke Micklo and her husband, Kevin, they rushed to get their 12-year-old daughter and 9-year-old son who were also sleeping. The entire family, including the dog, made it out of the home without injury but their home sustained so much damage that it will likely be torn down because of the blaze, according to Micklo. "We're just trying to figure out what to do next," said Micklo. It's unclear what triggered the blaze but neighbor Debbie MacKerell said the fire was quick to take the home. "It went so fast," said MacKerell. …
Monday, April 25, 2011
A roundup of the region's news for April 25.
Here's a look at the news happening around you: — Benet Alum Wins Pulitzer — A Night With the Guardian Angels — Unattended Cooking Causes Batavia Apartment Fire, Resident Rescued From Second Floor — Randall and McKee Crash Injures Two, Extrication Required — Acting Couple Moves From L.A. to La Grange
Monday, November 1, 2010
When voting on Nov. 2, residents will find a referendum question on the ballot. Find out how this question effects the community.
The Village of Lisle has joined at least 30 neighboring communities in approving the placement of an advisory referendum question on the Nov. 2 general election ballot. "Shall the Illinois General Assembly and Governor take immediate steps to implement meaningful public safety pension reform which will relieve the extensive burden on local taxpayers?" The issue has gained momentum as a problem in budget planning for the last three years of economic downturn. Municipalities are forced to adhere to providing taxpayer dollars for their police and fire department retirees without having enough money to do so, forcing cuts in other areas and threatening the futures of many communities. "We have chose the referendum ballot because we want to go …
Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Two firefighters were injured Oct. 26 after coming in contact with an electrical source.
UPDATE: Nov. 3, 3:20 p.m. The two firefighters who were injured in a Lisle house fire that broke out Tuesday, Oct. 26, have not yet returned to work, per doctor's orders, according to Lisle-Woodridge Bureau Chief Dan Anderson. "We're not anticipating them to return to work for at least another week," Anderson said. Anderson said the firefighters were expected to make a full recovery. The two firefighters suffered electrical shock after coming into contact with live power lines that were found on the property after a "significant fire" broke out at 4616 Yackley Ave. in Lisle. Anderson said the downed power lines were a cause of the fire. The firefighters were taken to Edward Hospital in Naperville and released on Wednesday, Oct. 27. …
Friday, October 15, 2010
Report said the cause of the fire was "careless use of smoking materials."
The cause of Monday night's fire at 6703 Pershing Court was "careless use of smoking materials," according to a report released Friday from Jim French, bureau chief of the Lisle-Woodridge Fire District. The Lisle-Woodridge Fire Department and the family's insurance company have completed the investigation of the fire. According to the report, the fire started just outside the front entrance of the building. Because of the cause of the fire, the incident has been classified as an "accidental fire." The three people who live in the house were all home at the time of the fire. No one was injured. Read Tuesday's article about the fire here.
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
The Lisle-Woodridge Fire District tamed a house fire on Pershing Court Monday night.
10/12 UPDATE: The cause of the fire remains under investigation by the Lisle-Woodridge Fire Department. The house has been determined to be uninhabitable. No one was injured in a house fire on Pershing Court Monday night. The fire was reported around 9 p.m. at a two-story house at 6703 Pershing Court in Woodridge. The cause of the fire is under investigation. According to an early scanner report, fire was reported "blowing out the living room window up into the eaves" at 9:11 p.m. Kenny Han, 30, and his parents James, 60, and Sung, 56, were inside the house when the fire started. Han said his family had lived in the home for five or six years. "We're not sure what happened," Han said. "It started at the front door and we were able to get …