UPDATED: LWFD HAZMAT Team Responds to Bromide Leak
HAZMAT teams responded to a bromide leak that triggered the building's fire alarms this morning. Officials say the leak does not pose a public threat, and no injuries were reported.
Update: 1 p.m., Wednesday, June 6
[Editor's note: Officials on the scene identified the incident as a bromine leak. The chemical compound was actually bromide, or Brom-T, according to the official release from the fire district. Bromide is a chemical compound that contains bromine or a bromine ion. It is considered less reactive than bromine. The references below to bromine are corrected.]
Wednesday's chemical leak at a corporate office in Lisle on Warrenville Road is not deemed hazardous to the public, according to Lisle-Woodridge Fire officials.
A pump failure occurred shortly before 8 a.m. in the building's mechanical room on the first floor. The failing equipment pumps water with bromide tablets throughout the corporate office's heating and air conditioning (HVAC) system. The pump failure led to a leakage, which created a light smoke that triggered the building's fire alarms.
LWFD Bureau Chief Jim French likened the bromide in the leak to a pool chemical. Brominated tablets may be used as a substitute for chlorine.
Around 60 people were evacuated from the building when officials arrived. No injuries were reported and no individuals were transported to the hospital, said French.
HAZMAT teams from Downers Grove and Naperville Fire Districts responded to the scene to assist the leak. The teams entered the building and shut down the pump.
The fire department then set up a ventilator and air-monitoring equipment until they deemed the air quality safe, according to a release from the fire department.
Officials began to leave the scene at 10 a.m. French said building owners will have the option to re-open the building later Wednesday after a pump replacement. Business as usual will continue Thursday.
Two weeks prior to this incident, firefighters completed evacuation training with the occupants of this building among others along Warrenville Road, French said.
Lisle firefighters and police officers responded to a bromide leak at 1001 Warrenville Rd. shortly after 8 a.m. Wednesday. The building was evacuated. No one is being let on to the property.
HAZMAT teams are inside, attempting to contain the leak.
Patch will provide updates as they are available.